Come forth into the light of things; let Nature be your teacher.

~ William Wordsworth

Believe one who knows: you will find something greater in woods than in books.

Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters.

~ Saint Bernard de Clairvaux

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

To Greet the Morning as Birds Do



Photo by Pritiranjan Maharana


A birdsong can even, for a moment, make the whole world into a sky within us, because we feel that the bird does not distinguish between its heart and the world's.
~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Every tree seemed to be alive with birdsong. They were so excited to begin their day and to share their excitement with one another.

I could barely get myself out bed, showered, dressed and out the door for my walk. I did apparently have a lot to say though. A discussion with my husband about the placebo effect preceded my walk.

It was later than I usually go. The time change has thrown me off. But this later time seemed to be a busier one for the birds. The usual few birds in a bush or two was this morning dozens in every tree.

Why do I resist the morning? It’s not like I’m unhappy, though I do worry and that worry often rises when I do. What if I let the sun rise within as the birds seem to do? Joy and excitement rising to the surface until it becomes song.

Even the mocking bird, who was probably up since before dawn, stands on the peak of a house, blue and gray against red clay proclaims it is a sparrow and then switches to being a cricket. Why does it copy all it hears? Is it for the sheer joy of it? Some believe they are just more open to expanding their repertoire beyond what they hear from other mocking birds. It’s also been said they defend their territory with their incessant mocking. Making the sound of a competitor will keep it away. Whatever it is, it’s enthusiastic in the morning after a long night of singing.

What will happen if I wake up tomorrow with all the enthusiasm of a mocking bird or sparrow? Perhaps it won’t take me until evening to sing my own song, these words (I’m still running late). Maybe I’ll rush back from my walk and the words will just flow. Who knows what is possible when you begin the day with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment