Come forth into the light of things; let Nature be your teacher.

~ William Wordsworth

Believe one who knows: you will find something greater in woods than in books.

Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters.

~ Saint Bernard de Clairvaux

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Nature’s Healing Presence



My backyard

Tree shadows lulled my tired mind as they moved over the lawn. The rustle of leaves and the chatter of birds calmed me further. I’d forgotten how healing it is to be in nature…even the backyard variety.

After a week of an intense downloading of ideas that interrupted my sleep, I had one hell of a headache on Sunday. Leading a morning meditation at church helped, but later the headache came back. Deep breathing wasn’t helping anymore. Before I took a pain killer I decided to spend some time outside.

My husband was in the yard planting flowers. I grabbed a lawn chair and planted myself near the back of the yard where there was a mix of shade and sun. It had been too long since I felt grounded in Nature.

At first I enjoyed the feel of the breeze as I watched the birds flutter about. I just let go of everything and settled into the moment. Soon I realized my headache was gone. I relaxed further and then decided to give my brother a call. I snapped a picture of one of the trees in the yard to share with him. I wanted to bring him into this green calm nearly 4000 miles away from cold and snow.

I have much to learn from Nature about being a healing presence. That is what I wish to be for others. It’s time for the apprenticeship to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment