Come forth into the light of things; let Nature be your teacher.

~ William Wordsworth

Believe one who knows: you will find something greater in woods than in books.

Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters.

~ Saint Bernard de Clairvaux

Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Animal Teachers in My Life



Me with Ting-a-ling and Bambi


 In the very early hours of the morning my past animal companions came to me. I just started to think of all of them. It felt as though a few of their names had begun to slip into oblivion. I couldn’t let that happen, so I began to name and remember each one.

Nature speaks to us through the animals. They are Nature and so are we. It’s been nearly 20 years since I had an animal companion. For a brief moment about four years ago a black cat entered my life and later a neighbor’s cat befriended me. But it’s been a long time since I lived with an animal. I miss that relationship. I think they came to me last night to remind me they are still with me and that I can still learn from them.

Here are the lessons from my childhood animal companions all the way up to the last one I had 20 years ago.

Bambi, a German Shepard mix, was pure love. She and the cat Ting-a-ling used to cuddle together. Together they taught me differences don’t matter. She was the first one to teach me about death and loss.

Ting-a-ling, a long haired beauty had an independent spirit typical of cats. She wouldn’t put up with much from us kids. She taught me to stand up for myself.

Billy Jack was a terrier mix who was a bit high strung. He was always ready for fun, though. He would ride on the front of the boat, the wind in his face and his tongue hanging out. He taught me to enjoy the moment.

Nipper, a border collie, came to us when she was five. She was very sweet and embraced us right away. She taught me change was okay.

Cleo, a gray and white cat, came to me as a tiny kitten via some neighborhood boys. I took her in when I was 15. She was mine from the beginning. The first night she came all the way downstairs to my room and climbed up to sleep on the pillow next to me. She was stocky and strong. She taught me resilience.

Max was a big white rabbit. We took him in after he ate through a friend of a friend’s stereo wires. He was jittery and funny. He often spooked Cleo. On purpose I think. He taught me to accept him just the way he was.

Willie was an orange tabby with lots of personality. He would meow at me and jump into my arms and snuggle in my hair. He only lived to be one, but in that short time he taught me to ask for love.

Sammie was a shy gray tabby. She was being picked on by a bigger kitten at the pet store. I couldn’t let her stay there. She grew into an independent cat who loved to play games. I had to leave her behind when I moved to the U.S. She died a couple of years later and came to me in a dream. She taught me about forgiveness.

And their teachings go deeper. When we bond with an animal, their greatest teaching of all is unconditional love. I’m grateful for all of these beautiful beings who came into my life. I say their names so they may continue to live within my heart and teach me.

Please share your stories in the comments. There is so much wisdom to be gained from our animal friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment